Saturday, May 1, 2010

Garden Update

It's now officially May and the garden is beginning to flourish. All the tender loving care I put into those little seedlings has (for the most part) paid off - and I've learned what plants do great from seeds (squash, beans, peas, carrots, etc.) and what you're better off just buying from seedlings (tomatoes and strawberries). 



Our little row of beans and peas are shooting up so fast!



First pea pod of the season...



Bean fingers. One of my favorite things ever. Who knows if that's what they're really called, but that's what I call them. If you tether the little "finger" shooter to the pole with a plant tie, it's wrapped itself around the pole this much in a day or two. Incredible!



The tops of our potatoes - they're mounded up about 6 inches, it's just hard to tell because the greenery has exploded so much!



The beginning of our first tomato - my favorite produce from the garden ;) We've got about 6 or 7 tomato vines this year, so hopefully I'll have plenty to spare!


We're going greener (and cheaper!) this year. This is our first rain barrel. Denise and I went to a "Build Your Own Rain Barrel" workshop in Frisco (Thanks Melody!) and Denise let me take our first labor of love to our house. The Powers will have one for their brand new house soon!

So far it's rained once since we installed the barrel and I've watered the garden for nearly two weeks with the water in the barrel. Hello lower water bill!!

A bit ghetto-rigged, but I'll fix that soon and try my hand at painting it to make it a little less "blue" - so consider this the before picture. After pics to follow. 



My pretty little Dragon Wing Begonia - brightens my day when I'm stuck inside grading papers.




Happy spring everyone! Enjoy it while it lasts... Before we bake all summer in a 95 degree oven...


Love-

K

1 comment:

  1. great post, Kel! I love it! the garden is looking great! I need to stop by and see it firsthand now that you've got some fruits/veggies popping out! :)

    ReplyDelete