Monday, March 15, 2010

Spring Break Chronicles - The Irwins vs. Equestrian...ism...

Today kicks off the official start of "no school because it's spring break" week. The weather has been beautiful the past few days. I've planted all our seeds - flowers and veggies - in preparation for spring planting and started many of my potted plants this weekend as well! The only downside of the nice weather is the dog. Cooper is LOVING this weather, but won't stay outside for longer than 10 minutes. So the day goes like this:


Cooper bugs me for 10 minutes until I finally get up and let him out.


10 minutes later he's scratching at the back door. 


He's content in the house for 5 minutes. 


Cooper bugs me for 10 minutes until I finally get up and let him out...... Repeat ad infinitum.




I've been getting this face a LOT:




Today our friend Darby met us out at Isle Du Bois to take us out on her horses. We've been excited about this for weeks. However, before today I had been on a horse 1 time. It was a trail ride in Alberta when I was 12, and all I remember about the experience was:

- We nicknamed my sister's horse Flatulence shortly into the ride (and for good reason). Guess who was behind her the whole time?

- My mom's friend Janet fell off her horse and had to sit on a donut pillow for the rest of the week.

The ride started off well - after learning some basics, we were off down the trail. I was in the back on Darby's sister's horse, Flecka. I was doing just fine until we started to trot. I couldn't quite get the hang of posting, and the WHAP WHAP WHAP of my booty slamming rhythmically into the saddle tickled Jeremy to death. It didn't help that with each WHAP my helmet slid a little further back on my head, until it was pretty much just protecting the base of my skull (silly bike helmet...) His laughing made me laugh, which only increased my inability to control my bodily movements, so I pretty much bounced along on the back of Flecka the whole time. Thanks honey for the bruise that is sure to appear on my bum tomorrow. 

Towards the end of our ride Flecka and I started to do a little better. There was much less WHAP-ing and a little more control until......

Darby said "canter".

I didn't expect it. Flecka took off. I just hung on while visions of Christopher Reeve post spinal cord injury via equestrian accident spun through my head. 

But I didn't fall off!!

So I learned that I am not necessarily a "natural" horseman, but we did have a blast and look forward to riding again sometime soon.

Thanks Darby!



Jeremy and Darby's horse, Cameo



Darby's sister Cheryl who was SO sweet to meet us out there



Remember the helmet-bouncing incident from above? 
That's why my hair looks like that. Don't judge.





Darby and Cameo


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT :) It reminds me of when she met us out there before the first year's camping trip! SO much fun! ...we won't mention last year's trip... hahaha!
    so glad you guys got to have fun out there! Kel, let me know if you need me to bring you some ice for your BOOTY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...which letter are you putting there.

    ReplyDelete